Thursday, July 31, 2008

How Green am I?

This weeks blog is about me and how my green life is going. Been getting progressively greener since March. My organic veggie, earth friendly roommate moved out beginning of July, so I'm living alone again. We won't be laughing, dancing and singing round the house together anymore. Sniff, sniff. I thank her for getting me on board with a greener way of life.

Town Square, photo by LightI live in a very small community of about 4,000 mostly elderly  folks. We've got a beauty salon, senior center, doctor, massage therapist, chiropractor, realtor, small clothing store, restaurant  and post office all in our little town square. It's so cute. The  photo left is of the square. Across the street is an 18 hole golf course with clubhouse and restaurant.  Don't know the meaning of the words healthy food. Look at you like you've got 2 heads when you ask for a veggie anything. Say what???

Anyway, I walk to the Post Office everyday. It's about 1/2 mile from my house. The nearest grocery store is about 10 miles via interstate. There's no public transportation and because there are no back roads bicycling is out. Weird I know. 'Sides I don't have a working bicycle. Have a 1997 Honda Civic hatchback which gets about 40 mpg most of the time. Feel fortunate. Keep tires inflated and only drive when necessary. I've cut trips into town down to about once or twice a month. Would like to go more... feelin' a bit deprived.

When I go in for a shop, I buy water in bulk too. Have 5 gallon bottles. Cost is only $1 for 5 gallons. Won't drink the tap water, would if I could but, it tastes bad and is full of minerals and other unmentionables. It's called aggressive water cause of how fast it builds up like rock formations on everything it touches.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Still using locally grown or organic produce and eggs mostly. Grow many of my own herbs. The photo right is sage in my garden. Buy rice, beans, grains, flours, oatmeal, salt, sugar and spices in bulk. Store them in quart or 1/2 gallon canning jars. Use organic dairy products including milk, butter, cream cheese and yogurt. But cheese is a different story. Started baking and making lots of food from scratch including bread. Have a bread machine that looks like R2D2. Makes terrific bread. Bake my own cookies too. That way I know what's in 'em. Taste better, cost less and there's less packaging to deal with. 

Never ate much meat but now it's a flavoring agent, because I like the taste, instead of the the main ingredient. Mostly I cook vegetarian. Been trying recipes from around the world like Pad Thai and curried coconut veggies. And I'm eating lots of fresh organic salads with greens, shredded beets and carrots, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and lemon juice. Never thought I'd say I love salad... but I do now. The food tastes different, fresher and more alive. But the odd thing is I'm not wanting to cook and eat very often. I just noticed I was hungry and thought 'Is it time to eat again already?' What's up with that?

I'm still using eco-friendly dish liquid. Right now it's Bio Pak Ultra with tea tree and aloe, Green Apple scent. Works great, but don't like the smell much. Will try a different green kind next time. Or might buy the Dishmate Almond, I liked it. I've noticed my hands like these products better too. They aren't rough and dry any more. And my dish sponge still smells nice. I do the dishes by hand, don't have an automatic dishwasher. But I think I run the water too much. More then is frugal. So I'm not perfect... humph.

Haven't noticed a change in my electric bill since my roommate left. But we'd already cut way back. I'm cooking a bit more and I've got an old 2001 Dell with a big fat monitor that's on at least 6 hours a day so I can keep blogging. Wondering about that. Sure, it's EnergyStar rated, but I know it sucks power. And it's slowing down real bad and making growlin' noises too. Materializin' a new laptop. Visualizing myself using one, concentrating, focusin' every day... poof... new laptop. Poof... old computer gone, in that order please. Thank you. Whole bunch of poofin', no materializin'. Sigh, what's that 'Secret'? 

Keep blinds closed and ceiling fans on. Air conditioners off except when it gets really hot a couple hours in the afternoon. Have switched off the power strips mostly. I forget once in a while. The old TV, VCR and DVD players are unplugged all the time cause I don't ever watch them. The clock on my stove doesn't work. Don't own a coffee pot. Drink tea with milk mostly. Heat a mug full of water in my electric teapot. The microwave has a clock. It's the only one in the kitchen. Don't have a cell phone or power charger. Think I'm doing pretty good with all this stuff generally. Conserving, doing what I can. Writing about it and telling my friends too.

Now we're all on board the green train to conscious change.

Oh yeah a P.S.... ants invaded my house again. Did a cinnamon treatment inside and out. Worked great for all rooms except my bedroom closet. I must have missed a spot or something. Those buggers invaded my laundry basket and chewed holes in two of my favorite tee shirts and a pair of undies. Now they look like Swiss cheese. Rotten ants. Had to get out the artillery... big guns. Read about cornmeal killing ants. So I put some out. They took it back to the nest and I haven't seen 'em since. Not very compassionate. Pppppffffftttttt!!! Good riddance!

No comments: